I went fishing yesterday so I thought I’d make a shooter’s sandwich to take with me. Traditional fare for Edwardian hunters, it’s perfect to take with you when you’re hunting or fishing or just having a picnic. And it’s dead easy to make, like most things it just needs a little time.
- A nice round crusty loaf
- A couple of steaks
- Mushrooms (about twice the amount of shallots you have)
- Worcestershire sauce
- Mustard and horseradish
- A bunch of chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- A clove of garlic (optional)
- Butter (definitely not optional)
- Greaseproof paper
To make it:
- Finely dice all the mushrooms and shallots (and garlic, if using), add a big knob of butter and gently fry in a large pan, until the mushrooms have lost most of their moisture.
- Season the mixture with salt, loads of black pepper and the Worcestershire sauce. Add the chopped parsley, mix it up nicely and set aside for now.
- Cut the top off the loaf to make a lid, and scoop out most of the inside (save the rest to make breadcrumbs, or just nibble on it as you do the rest, or take it fishing)
- Season and fry the steaks until (at most) medium rare (if you like your steaks well done you can show yourself out now).
- Tuck one freshly cooked steak into the bottom of the hollowed out loaf, and cover it with the mushroom mixture.
- Put the other steak on top of this.
- Spread loads of mustard (I use Dijon) and horseradish onto the top steak and on the inside of the lid.
- Pop the lid back onto the loaf,
- Wrap the loaf up in the grease proof paper and tie it up tightly with string.
- Wrap it all in tinfoil
- Get a chopping board, or a baking tray (basically something flat), put that on top of the filled loaf and weigh it down with lots of weight. Food tins, books, whatever you can find.
- Put it somewhere cool and leave it for about 4 or 5 hours, or preferably overnight, until it’s compressed.
- Unwrap from the foil, and cut through the grease proof paper.
- Tuck in!
Is it the best sandwich in the world? I have no idea, but it’s one of my favourite foods to take fishing. I could live off one of these for a weekend 🙂